Maternity clothing styles have evolved so much in the last few years. Styles available now are runway inspired and many pieces are meant to last through pregnancy and beyond. Modern moms want high quality, trendy styles that proudly show off their baby bump. There have never been so many style options for new moms-to-be and navigating the new trends can sometimes seem daunting. Maternity designers are taking a cue from the fashion magazines and interpreting the clothing for expectant moms. The top emerging trends for 2012 include a mix of updated classic designs and edgy, “I can’t believe it’s maternity,” styles.
The top trends for 2012 are:
- Maternity bikinis are meant to show off your bump and are gaining in popularity for pregnant moms. The most popular styles feature wide waistbands that can be pulled up or down to show more or less of the belly. Halter style bikini tops offer support for a growing bust-line. Easier to fit than a standard maillot and way sexier than a maternity tankini, maternity bikinis are all the rage. This trend can be attributed to the large number of celebrities being photographed on vacation proudly showing their growing bellies and looking great.
- Strapless maxi dresses that are comfortable and flowing are a big trend for the warmer months. Also dresses with ruffled hemlines, that take a cue from the romantic spring looks shown on the runways, are right on trend. For cooler weather, wrap cardigans are perfect to pair with these breezy dresses.
- Denim is always a mainstay and skinny jeans that stretch are here to stay because they make perfect layering pieces for tunics and long tanks. The newest silhouette to emerge in maternity denim is wide legged jeans and sailor style jeans that perfectly enhance a pregnant mom’s shape. The wide flared legs balance out a growing belly for a super flattering look.
- Tribal, exotic and tie-dyed prints are big for 2012. Whether done in a flowing tunic or a patterned dress, these will add unexpected flair to a maternity wardrobe. Animal prints are also big and look great paired with brown, tan or camel for an updated safari look.
- Delivery gowns are all the rage. More and more women are shunning the standard issue hospital gowns and bringing their own chic gowns to deliver in. The newest delivery gowns come in beautiful colors and prints and are made for nursing as well. The gowns are designed to be hospital and birthing center friendly with openings for monitors, epidurals and IV cords.
- Aquatic and oceanic colors are big this year. This includes silvery pale grays, light aquas, sea foam greens as well as vibrant corals. These colors look amazing on summer dresses, light as air halter tops and filmy tunic tops. These colors pair beautifully with white and cream for an ethereal look.
- Black is always a staple color in any woman’s maternity wardrobe for its slimming effects. This year rock-n-roll and punk influences add an edge to basic black. Grommets, studs and edgy graphics are updating tees and dresses for a fun and funky new look. Tattoo inspired prints will also continue to be big with younger moms.
- Graphic and novelty tees will continue to be favorites. 70’s style graphics look new and fresh paired with the trendy wide leg jeans and wedges for spring and summer. Novelty tees are fun to wear, affordable and make great gifts.
- Styles that are meant to be worn while pregnant and after for nursing will continue to gain popularity. These designs offer a great value for new moms-to-be. Women appreciate the versatility and long term wear ability of these before and after styles. The newest designs feature hidden nursing openings and fabrics that stretch with a growing tummy, but also retain their shape for post-pregnancy wear. More and more women are breastfeeding and clothes that allow them to do it in style and comfort are in high demand.
- Eco-friendly fabrics continue to be a big seller. Organic cotton and bamboo fabrics have come a long way. Now available in a range of colors, besides the usual oatmeal, these fabrics give eco-conscious moms-to-be maternity and baby clothing options that are stylish while also being great for the environment.
Nowadays, women are not willing to forgo their sense of fashion while pregnant. With all of the fashionable trendy maternity clothes available now, they don’t have to. The newest maternity styles echo trends straight off the runways while also remaining flattering to a pregnant woman’s shape. Women want to feel pretty, sexy and stylish during their pregnancy. I believe that women want to celebrate this special time in their life and the newest trends in maternity clothing help them to feel special and beautiful.